A Wedge Flow Meter is preferably applied in difficult-to-meter line fluids, like air entrained liquids, particular entrained liquids, high viscous liquids or slurry liquids, which are abrasive or fibrous. It is also applicable for clean liquids, gas/air and steam.
It consists of a measurement pipe with pressure taps in front and behind the flow element, a wedge restriction being welded into the measurement pipe from the top side. The pressure is being measured in front of the wedge (high or dynamic pressure side) and behind the wedge (static or low pressure side). By determining the difference of these two measurements, which is called the differential pressure, the volume flow of the fluid can be calculated, as all other characteristics of the measuring points are constant.
As the wedge has the profile of an isosceles triangle, the form is the same from both sides. So the measurement is possible in both directions.
- Simple principle of operation allows functionality on any fluid.
- Long life without maintenance.
- Minimal upstream and downstream requirements.
- Low permanent pressure loss.
- Sizes ½” to 48”.
- Different H/D (opening) ratios
- Bidirectional measurement possible.